sociolinguistics, education, policy, language, ethnic
A rich vein of articles and books has recently addressed some critical issues in the field of sociolinguistics in Kazakhstan, both in terms of theoretical perspectives and of their implications in the context of education and policy. A wide range of theoretical and practical questions of Kazakhstani sociolinguistics are addressed, including:
• Defining de jure and de facto status of languages;
• Content and stages of status and corpus language planning;
• Ethnic and linguistic identification of individuals, ethnic groups and the population altogether;
• Ethnic and linguistic consciousness and self-consciousness;
• Possibility and prevention of language conflicts;
• Defining the essence and typology of Kazakhstani language policy and planning; • Ways of implementing language policy and efficiency of activities of language planning; and
• Dynamics of functional development of a state language.
"“Languages of the Peoples of Kazakhstan and Their Interaction” by Bakhytzhan Khassanov, and “Languages of the Peoples of Kazakhstan” by Eleonora Suleimenova, Nursulu Shaimerdenova, Dana Akanova,"
Russian Language Journal: Vol. 63:
1, Article 15.
Available at: https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/rlj/vol63/iss1/15