Western North American Naturalist
Grant Supporting Natural History Research
The Western North American Naturalist is a natural history journal committed to publishing excellent peer-reviewed research focused on the biological natural history of western North America.
With this goal in mind, we are pleased to announce that we will award 5 individual potential authors a grant of up to $2,500 each to fund their natural history research (within the geographic scope of the journal). Our intent in providing this grant is to help authors who may not have adequate funding to complete their research. We especially encourage individuals who are at institutions of higher learning where research is not the primary focus but where research is possible.
To apply for this grant, please submit a 2-page proposal of an original research project you would like us to help fund. Include the following in your proposal:
- An outline of your proposed research project
- An explanation of how this grant will facilitate the proposed research
- A provisional title of your work
- A timeline of when you propose to submit the paper
- A budget to show how you will use the money. Money may not be used as salary or overhead, but it may be used for the following:
• Travel expenses
• Student wages
• Other justifiable expenses
Expectations of grant recipients:
- Submit your resulting natural history manuscript to the Western North American Naturalist at most 3 years after you are awarded the grant. If WNAN does not accept your manuscript, you are welcome to submit it elsewhere.
- Agree to be at least a one-time reviewer for the Western North American Naturalist. Peer-review is an essential function of the journal, but peer-reviewers are increasingly difficult to find. As a reviewer and a potential author, you will support WNAN by not only offering a manuscript of your research to be published but also by improving other manuscripts submitted for publication.
Send your proposal to Mark C. Belk, editor-in-chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org with "WNAN Grant Proposal [Author Last Name]" in the subject line by March 17, 2023. We will notify the grant recipients by April 28, 2023.