The Historical and Geographical Beginnings of the Church of Christ (Temple Lot)
Church of Christ, Mormon Studies, Early Church History
In the aftermath of the death of Joseph Smith Jr. and the exodus from Nauvoo in 1846, a significant number of Smith’s followers remained behind in Illinois or scattered to nearby states. Many of these followers aligned themselves with certain personalities who claimed to be successors to Joseph Smith’s prophetic leadership. In Central Illinois three branches of the original Church remained behind but continued to function, staying generally aloof from the controversy swirling around the new claimants to the mantle of Joseph. These original branches—Half Moon Prairie (Woodford County), Eagle Creek (Livingston County), and Bloomington (McLean County)—consolidated in 1852 to form the Crow Creek branch (Woodford County) of the Church of Jesus Christ (of Latter day Saints). From this branch, the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) eventually emerged.
Original Publication Citation
“Historical and Geographical Beginnings of the Church of Christ (Temple Lot),” Mormon Historical Studies 12, no. 1 (Spring 2011): 87–103, co-authored with R. Jean Addams
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Addams, R. Jean and Baugh, Alexander L., "The Historical and Geographical Beginnings of the Church of Christ (Temple Lot)" (2011). Faculty Publications. 3738.
Mormon Historical Society
Church History and Doctrine