The Nauvoo Legion was a branch of the Illinois state militia, located in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois. To obey the state military service requirement, provide adequate protection for themselves, and display loyalty to the state, the inhabitants of Nauvoo organized a militia within their city. Having received necessary state approval, the citizens designated their militia the "Nauvoo Legion," which functioned from February, 1841 to January, 1845, when the Legion charter was repealed by the state legislature.
Organized and staffed mainly by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Legion was considered by some opponents as a possible threat to non-Mormons. Consequently, almost from the Legion's inception, opposing forces sought to abolish it. This concern about the Legion's purpose and power was one of the reasons for the harassment and opposition to Latter-day Saints in Illinois.
Regardless of its brief four-year history, however, the Legion established a very respectable record, grew to a number over 2,000 soldiers, and through their efficiency, and soldier-like appearance, gained an envied reputation.
College and Department
Religious Education; Church History and Doctrine
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Sweeney, John Jr., "A History of the Nauvoo Legion in Illinois" (1974). All Theses and Dissertations. 5155.
Nauvoo Legion, Mormon Church, Illinois, History