Two Greek Inscriptions from Karanis*
Greek Inscrptions, Ancient Greece, Karanis
During a recent visit to the Kom Aushim Magazine (Karanis) we had the opportunity to examine two Greek inscriptions. The catalogue’s terse ledger provided their physical dimensions and reported that they were found at Karanis by the University of Michigan.1 While no date was given for the finds, other items listed in the catalogue in close numeric proximity to the present inscriptions, which carry the inventory numbers 65 and 66, were dated to the late 1950s (1958–1959). It appears, therefore, that these two pieces were found and logged at about the same time. However, the University of Michigan did not formally excavate at Karanis past 1935; thus, the attribution to the University of Michigan is rather curious. Upon further investigation, it was brought to our attention that Elinor Husselman, curator of the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology at the University of Michigan between 1925 and 1965, visited Karanis for an extended period sometime in late 1957/early 1958, although she did not conduct an official excavation.2 It seems likely that the pieces were discovered during her visit; hence the attribution to the University of Michigan in the catalogue.3 Since these pieces have not been published, we present here editions of both inscriptions.
Original Publication Citation
“Two Greek Inscriptions from Karanis.” Tyche, Beiträge zur Alten Geschichte, Papyrologie und Epigraphik 32 (2017): 1–5 (with Chiara Aliberti).
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Blumell, Lincoln H. and Aliberti, Chiara, "Two Greek Inscriptions from Karanis*" (2017). Faculty Publications. 3459.
Tyche, Beiträge zur Alten Geschichte, Papyrologie und Epigraphik