Huqoq (Lower Galilee) and its synagogue mosaics: preliminary report on the excavations of 2011-13
Huqoq, Lower Galilee, Synagogue Mosaics
Horvat Huqoq (henceforth Huqoq; pronounced “hoo-COKE”) lies 3 km northwest of the Sea of Galilee. The site (map ref. 1952/2546) sits on a moderate hill surrounded by arable land, with alluvial plains on the west. A perennial fresh water spring (̒En Huqoq) is located at the foot of the N slope. Roads run 2 km to the south (the Wadi Zalmon route) and 3 km to the north (the Beth ha-Kerem to Ramat Korazim route).1 The remains of the ancient settlement (c.25-30 dunams) are covered partly by the ruins of the 19th-20th c. village of Yakuk (c.10 dunams), which was inhabited until 1948.
Original Publication Citation
Jodi Magness, Shua Kisilevitz, Karen Britt, Matthew Grey and Chad Spigel, “Huqoq (Lower Galilee) and its Synagogue Mosaics: Preliminary Report on the Excavations of 2011-13.” Journal of Roman Archaeology 27 (2014): 327–355
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Magness, Jodi; Kisilevitz, Shua; Britt, Karen; Grey, Matthew J.; and Spigel, Chad, "Huqoq (Lower Galilee) and its synagogue mosaics: preliminary report on the excavations of 2011-13" (2014). Faculty Publications. 3341.
Cambridge University Press
© Journal of Roman Archaeology L.L.C. 2014