Prophecy appears to play an important role in the Book of Mormon. The prophets evidently felt it necessary to include a considerable amount of prophetic material in this modern book of scripture.
Three general divisions of book of mormon prophecy can be made: (1) prophecies which relate to the period of time prior to the year 421 A.D., the approximate date of the final writing on the plates of Mormon, (2) prophecies which relate to the period 421 to 1830, the publication date of the Book of Mormon, and (3) prophecies which relate to the period 1830 onward.
The first two divisions above pertain to the period of time prior to the year 1830 A.D. and thus are not pertinent to the discussion under consideration in this thesis. It would be natural to suppose that many of the prophecies relating to the third division would have been already fulfilled. The evidence of fulfillment of prophecies following the publication of the Book of Mormon is added proof of its genuine authenticity. The scriptures indicate that the fulfillment of prophecies made by a prophet is one way of knowing whether or not he is a genuine prophet.
There are a number of problems which present themselves as the prophecies of the Book of Mormon are read and considered. Some of these problems are:
1. How much importance is attached to prophecy?
2. What seems to be the purpose of prophecy?
3. Are the prophets dealing with similar basic issues in their prophecies?
4. If so, what are these issues?
5. Can a classification be made of the prophecies?
6. Are the prophecies which deal with the same subject consistent in that which is foretold?
7. Is there sufficient evidence to show fulfillment of the prophecies which should have come to pass since the publication of the Book of Mormon?
This thesis will deal with the above problems. The writer will attempt to classify the prophecies of the Book of Mormon that relate to the period from 1830 onward and to present evidence in regard to the fulfillment of these prophecies.
College and Department
Religious Education; Ancient Scripture
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Warner, Ross William, "A Study of Problems Relative to the Fulfillment of Selected Prophecies in The Book of Mormon: With Particular Reference to the Prophetic View from 1830 Onward" (1961). Theses and Dissertations. 5195.
Book of Mormon, Prophecies, Mormon doctrine, Prophecy