Four separate and distinct Schools of the Prophets were organized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Joseph Smith Jr. organized the first school in the spring of 1833, and it functioned periodically until 1837. Brigham Young organized the second school in December 1867, as a part of the University of the State of Deseret. It functioned until August of 1872 when Brigham Young disbanded it because members failed to adhere to its rules. Three months later he reorganized on a limited basis a third school in Salt Lake City. This school existed until the summer of 1874 when it became incorporated into the Salt Lake City United Order. President John Taylor organized the fourth and final school in the waning months of 1883.
According to these church leaders, the authority for organizing such an institution was based upon Section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants. These schools participated actively in the educational, political, economic, military, social, and religious affairs of the Mormon Church and Utah Territory. Any understanding of Utah's development, particularly between 1867 and 1874, must be re-evaluated as to the influence these institutions exerted.
College and Department
Family, Home, and Social Sciences; History
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Patrick, John R., "The School of the Prophets: Its Development and Influence in Utah Territory" (1970). Theses and Dissertations. 5019.
Utah, Social conditions, Politics, government, 1847-1896, Economic conditions, United orders, Mormon Church, Economics, Religious aspects, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints