This thesis traces the history of the restoration and development of the Aaronic Priesthood and its offices of priest, teacher, and deacon, from 1829 to the middle 1840s in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The major areas of emphasis include the organizational structure of the Aaronic Priesthood, the responsibilities assigned to priests, teachers, and deacons, and the relationship of the functions of the Aaronic Priesthood which are first given in Section 13 of the Doctrine and Covenants, namely the ministering of angels, the preparatory gospel, and the offering of the sons of Levi. Also included is the role of the Aaronic Priesthood in the temples during the formative period of the Church.
Interesting finding of the study includes 1) the functioning of priests as presidents of priests quorums instead of bishops, 2) the guardianship or watchman role of teachers and priests and the quasi-legal position therein entailed, and 3) the ordinances of the Kirtland temple participated in by priests, teachers, and deacons in the temple.
College and Department
Religious Education; Church History and Doctrine
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Marrott, Robert L., "History and Functions of the Aaronic Priesthood and the Offices of Priest, Teacher, and Deacon in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 1829 to 1844" (1976). Theses and Dissertations. 4908.
Aaronic Priesthood, Mormon Church