This thesis gives an account of the establishment and development of the LDS Church in Switzerland without attempting to record a comprehensive chronological history. Instead, emphasis has been placed on beginnings and major historical developments.
In 1850, T. B. H. Stenhouse began teaching the "restored gospel" in French-Switzerland, at Geneva. Proselyting began in German-Switzerland in 1854. Despite mob violence and opposition from the clergy, press and civil authorities, some 9,846 joined the Church and 4,700 of these emigrated to "Zion." The discouragement of emigration, along with new emphasis on missionary work and improved proselyting methods, brought an unprecedented growth in Church membership in mid-twentieth century. This enabled the erection of the Swiss Temple in 1955 and the organization of the Swiss Stake in 1961. These events and the erection of other chapels along with improved press coverage have caused the previously negative image of Mormonism in Switzerland to evolve into a positive one.
College and Department
Religious Education; Church History and Doctrine
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Kirby, Dale Z., "History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Switzerland" (1971). All Theses and Dissertations. 4850.
Mormon Church, Switzerland, History