The History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in New Zealand begins with the arrival of Mormon missionaries in New Zealand in 1854. They established themselves firmly among the Maori people during the 1880's. Their success was influenced by certain Maori prophecies and by the translation of the Book of Mormon into Maori. The LDS church made successful efforts in educating it's members by establishing schools as early as 1886. The mission established the Maori Agriculture College in 1913 and the Church College of New Zealand in 1958. A highlight in the history of the mission was the building of a temple near Hamilton. Both the Church College and the temple were built by labor missionaries.
Material for the thesis was obtained from the LDS Church Historian's Office in Salt Lake City, and from the Brigham Young University Library in Provo, Utah.
College and Department
Religious Education; Church History and Doctrine
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Hunt, Brian W., "History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in New Zealand" (1971). All Theses and Dissertations. 4814.
Mormon Church, New Zealand, History