In the years 1920-80 the Mormon Church developed, expanded and refined an architectural program based on the concept of the standard plan. Standard plan buildings were selected, individualized and built for local ward units under the direction of the Church Building Department which created uniform standards of quality and appearance across the worldwide Church and created a tangible link between foreign members and the central Church.
Although functional and financial considerations directed virtually all design decisions and formed the operative basis of the program other elements also determined the nature of the Mormon approach to building. Growth, in the membership, more than any other single factor, affected the nature of building in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The mid-century emphasis on the accelerated missionary program, internationalization of the Church, and the emphasis on global uniformity of Church programs led to the use of the standard plan as the exclusive method of new construction in 1980.
College and Department
Family, Home, and Social Sciences; History
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Bradley, Martha Sonntag, ""The Church and Colonel Saunders": Mormon Standard Plan Architecture" (1981). All Theses and Dissertations. 4547.
Mormon architecture, Mormon church buildings, Designs, plans