A Relic of the Mormon Missouri Period: The Haun’s Mill Stone at Breckenridge, Missouri
Mormons in Missouri, Haun's Mill Stone, Haun's Mill
For many years, the small town of Breckenridge, Missouri, situated in eastern Caldwell County, has been the custodian of a mill stone from the early Mormon settlement of Haun’s Mill. Historical sources indicate that the stone was first discovered by George Edward Anderson, a Latter-day Saint photographer from Springville, Utah, and at least two other Caldwell residents. In 1907-1908, Anderson went on a photographic mission to photograph early LDS Church history in the Midwest and the East. From 10-26 May 1907, he toured the northern Missouri countryside, taking pictures of historic Mormon sites in Ray, Caldwell, and Daviess counties. During this time, the Mormon photographer spent four days, May 22-26, in eastern Caldwell County with the express purpose of taking photos at Haun’s Mill. On 23 May, accompanied by George M. McLallen from nearby Braymer, and his son James, Anderson succeeded in taking several photographs at the mill site. After taking a photo of the landscape from the hill situated on the south of Shoal Creek, Anderson reported: “Crossed the creek and located one of the old millstones, which we worked out of the ground and [then moved it] down to the edge of the creek and made two or three negatives of it, putting an inscription on one side.”1
Original Publication Citation
“A Relic of the Mormon Missouri Period: The Haun’s Mill Stone at Breckenridge, Missouri,” Mormon Historical Studies 2, no. 2 (Fall 2001): 211–16.
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Baugh, Alexander L., "A Relic of the Mormon Missouri Period: The Haun’s Mill Stone at Breckenridge, Missouri" (2001). Faculty Publications. 3724.
Mormon Historical Studies
Church History and Doctrine