Palmyra, Eastern States Mission
The arrival of autumn in 1923 brought more than a mature harvest to the quiet farming village of Palmyra, New York. On a late September weekend, a torrent of visitors flooded the township—a spectacle unlike anything the locals had ever seen. “Trudging along the roads leading into Palmyra today there came a small army of pilgrims,” the local Rochester Herald reported, “each with his pilgrim’s scrip and each wearing slung across his shoulders a banner with the cryptic word ‘Cumorah’ blazoned on it.” Befuddled residents witnessed the young male and female pilgrims arrive—two by two—until they eventually coalesced in large groups around the old Joseph Smith family farm. Some of the travelers were exhausted, having walked hundreds of miles to get there.
Neilson, Reid L. and Teuscher, Carson V.
"Pilgrimage to Palmyra,"
BYU Studies Quarterly: Vol. 58:
2, Article 2.
Available at: https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/byusq/vol58/iss2/2