Mormon studies, Oliver Cowdrey, monument, Missouri
As one of three witnesses, Oliver Cowdery testified that “an angel of God came down from heaven” to display an ancient record—a record known then and now as the Book of Mormon. Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer affirmed in written testimony that they saw “the engravings thereon,” and more surprisingly that the voice of God declared Joseph Smith’s translation of the record to be true. Even though all three men eventually disassociated themselves from Joseph Smith, later members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints felt to commemorate Cowdery, Whitmer, and Harris for their role in the Church’s genesis. In 1911, Church member Junius F. Wells erected a monument in Richmond, Ray County, Missouri, toward this end (figs. 1, 2).
Holzapfel, Richard Neitzel and Schwartz, Robert F.
"The Dedication of the Oliver Cowdery Monument in Richmond, Missouri, 1911,"
BYU Studies Quarterly: Vol. 44:
3, Article 6.
Available at: https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/byusq/vol44/iss3/6