In January, 1914, the Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints brought out the first issue of what was to become the Relief Society Magazine. Before this, the women of the Church had been served by the Women's Exponent, founded in 1872 as the second women's publication in the west. During 1914, the Exponent's successor was a monthly guide to the Relief Society's coursework, known as the Bulletin. In January, 1915, it became the Relief Society Magazine.
The magazine became a leader in the Relief Society work as a forum for idea exchange, a medium for administration, an outlet for creative talents, and a lesson guide.
In December, 1970, the last Magazine appeared. The end came for the publication in an effort on the part of the Church to strengthen the family unit through combining magazines it published. New eras come, bringing change, but for the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, their past includes a Magazine which reflected their interests, strivings, and work.
College and Department
Fine Arts and Communications; Communications
BYU ScholarsArchive Citation
Mann, Patricia Ann, "A History of the Relief Society Magazine, 1914-1970" (1971). All Theses and Dissertations. 4904.
Relief Society magazine, History, Relief Society, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Periodicals, History